welcome!

leaving behind all limitations and crossing all boundaries into a life of yogic, fruity, creative bliss, incandescent love and abundant prosperity...question everything, be your own hero every day and know thyself. There is nothing more powerful than the miracle of YOU!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

ah shiva!

You know, it's funny how we move through different shifts and trends in our lives.  A couple of years ago I bought this fabulous Shiva Rea yoga DVD called Yoga Shakti; filmed by the same DP who shot "Memoirs of a Geisha" so it is visually luscious, and filmed in exotic, breathtaking locations, the DVD itself offers almost 4 hours of yoga chapters you can either do in preset classes or you can create your own class, with or without verbal instructions and always with some of the coolest and loveliest music around.  So I would put it on and watch it and listen to it and think "wow, that looks like fun."  But did I actually DO it? Nope. For some odd reason, I loved watching it but would then turn to other DVDs for practice, go figure.  Until now. :)

Maybe it's the unspoken influence of my new boss, who is good friends with Shiva and considers those her favorite classes on earth. Maybe it was just time for a shift towards more of the powerful feminine energy of Shiva. But suddenly recently I absolutely LOVE creating my customized Yoga Shakti class.  Last night I knew I wanted to experience a good class but felt a bit tired and drained from my cycle, and knowing it was the weekend of the full moon I wanted to honor that energy as well.  I did the lunar cycle yoga; a more yin energy vinyasa flow class that begins with some wonderful fluid warmups you could do anytime, followed by a lovely moon salutation set, then about 20 minutes of forward bends and deep twists for rejuvenation, then meditation and shavasana. I literally passed out at the end; not from over-exertion, but from pure yogic bliss.

The days prior when I felt more energetic I did my own version of a solar cycle; vigorous ashtanga a&b warmups followed by a few Dancing Warrior segments (basically vinyasa with leg extensions and fluid movements within warrior stance), back bend series, followed by the same delicious forward bends and twists, sometimes the inversions chapter as well (a lengthy series of shoulderstands and plough positions). There is quite a variety to be had here; anything from very approachable and gentle yoga to options that can make you sweat your toxins and cares away.  Now I love DOING this more than watching it.

This morning my love and I dove headfirst back into green smoothie heaven after sharing a lovely Indian meal last night.  It was incredibly tasty, that meal, but we both found ourselves terribly thirsty from the salt and really clogged today from the dairy.  But a brekkie of a green smoothie has me feeling much better.

Here was my morning recipe:
1 cup of spring water
an entire head of romaine lettuce
2 stalks of celery
generous handful of fresh mint leaves
4 medium sized ripe bananas

Wow, that was tasty and loaded with minerals, electrolytes and valuable carbs and enzymes.  We had slowly but surely drifted away from our progress into the fruitarian way, but now we're both feeling called back to what makes us feel the most radiant and energized; fresh fruit, leafy greens, minimal raw fats. Pure and simple in every way.  And with my increasing connection to a daily yoga practice, I feel the deep need for a life-giving diet to support this important aspect of my life.  When eating even "healthy" cooked foods I feel less flexible, have less energy and take longer to recover.  With greens and fruit fueling my body I feel and can do anything. I want to fly within these asanas that I love, I want to glide beside my love on our ivory bicycles and I want to feel fearless and inspired to explore this world...but to do that I need some things to come alive for me. On this sunny and gorgeous morning, I feel those things coming to life.

There is NO doubt in my mind or my cells that what we eat creates our experience of life on this earth and in these bodies.  Eating cooked foods, devoid of enzymes and life force, is a tasty slow death. And like drug addicts who know what they are doing will ultimately kill them but cannot seem to stop, leaving cooked food behind forever is a very big adaptation to ask of oneself.  In the end, I suppose it comes down to which "wants" in your life are more powerful, more urgent.  My life is so full of joy, love and endless blessings, I want to be here as fully as possible as long as possible and to feel complete freedom within the human body, rather than feeling trapped and heavy in this temple as I await spiritual liberation.  I want spiritual liberation and freedom within the body to exist simultaneously, united every moment. True yoga.  I want to explore life with my beautiful partner, my furry children, my dear family and friends, and ultimately with our own children. To express my soul's song through my creativity and my work, to see and feel the world and to create a sacred space called home that exceeds even our dreams.  And right now, mercifully, nothing is stronger than that.

Om Shanti. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment